[R-sig-ins] Maximum pseudo likehood vs tweedie.

Christophe Dutang dutangc at gmail.com
Thu May 6 07:38:40 CEST 2010

Le 5 mai 2010 à 22:19, "RATIARISON Eric" <ERATIARISON at monceauassurances.co
m> a écrit :

> Hello everybody,
>
> I’m interested in rating premium insurance, with the idea to impleme
> nt under R the theory linked in the paper attached (only hypothesis=
> distribution belongs to family exponential,
>
> No a priori specification)
>

> I’ve already have a gauss (software named…) code which do this
> with a package named CML (constrained maximum likehood).

Hello Eric

To do constrained optimisation you can use the pkg Rsolnp, which I
test since last week. It is very powerful.

> With R, I’ve searched similar pack/functions like nlminb, maxLik and
>  optim or other function  in which I can precise the analytic functi
> on of loglik, gradient and hessian related to family exponential.
>
> But with  no success (Newton raphson unavaible with fixes gr/hessian
> (own mistake ?) ,

Another solution is to use the genetic algorithm and to put the
constraint as a  penalty. rgenoud implements the GA.

By the way the package fitdistrplus let you to use a custom
optimisation function, and give you other statistics on a distribution
fit.

> often some problem of memory (matrix size  : 550 000 rows x 14
> covariables, and finally not sure that it concerned pseudo likehood.

If you have problem of memory, the only good solution is to have more
RAM on your computer and/or to use a 64 bit OS, see R-help on this
topic.

> Could Tweedie  cover this kind of preoccupation?

See the cran task view, I think there is a pkg implementing this
distribution.

Christophe