[R-sig-ins] Hacking on the ChainLadder package?

Christophe Dutang dutangc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 08:07:41 CEST 2009

Hi,
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to R but would like to work on (and hopefully contribute
> usefully to) Markus Gesmann's excellent ChainLadder package.  However,
> I don't have a development loop in place, so I'd appreciate some
> guidance on how best to work on this.  I have the actual package
> installed in
>
>    ~/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.8/ChainLadder
>
> and I have the code checked out from subversion in:
>
>    ~/prog/chainladder-read-only
>
> I'd like some way of editing the files,
> e.g. ~/prog/chainladder-read-only/R/Triangles.R and testing it without
> having to make a whole new package and install it.
Look at the r admin manual, but i think you need to build the pkg with
thé command
R CMD build --binary  chainladder-read-only

> However, I can't
> seem to load the package from my subversion directory:
>
>> library(ChainLadder, lib="~/prog")
>    Error in library(ChainLadder, lib = "~/prog/chainladder-read-
> only") :
>      there is no package called 'ChainLadder'
>
> if I make the symbolic link "ChainLadder" to "chainladder-read-only" I
> get:
>
>> library(ChainLadder, lib="~/prog")
>    Error in library(ChainLadder, lib = "~/prog") :
>      'ChainLadder' is not a valid package -- installed < 2.0.0?
>
> which I don't know what it means and google isn't super-helpful.  I'm
> also not even sure I'm on the right track.
Look on Google with "install r packages on local library".

Something that will work is to install your modified version of
chainladder and then go back to thé original one by installing it
again.

Christophe