[R-sig-hpc] R with FlexiBLAS on Mac and Windows

Mon May 30 04:33:06 CEST 2022

On 29 May 2022 at 22:02, George Ostrouchov wrote:
| Are there good recipes for building R with FlexiBLAS on a Mac and on Windows?
|
| I have found that R with FlexiBLAS provides an easy way to dynamically switch BLAS backends and have dynamic control over core use from R.  This is now becoming more common on clusters, where I have first seen it on systems that use EasyBuild. We have also now done it with spack. I think this has a future, with plans to tackle GPU backend switching eventually.
|
| Having the same control on laptops would provide a consistent pathway to core control from laptop to cluster. This would remove one more barrier in a move from a laptop to a cluster. I would like to use it in my tutorials that aim to take R users to clusters and supercomputers.

Inaki has a packge you may like:

  https://cran.r-project.org/package=flexiblas

  flexiblas: 'FlexiBLAS' API Interface

  Provides functions to switch the 'BLAS'/'LAPACK' optimized backend and
  change the number of threads without leaving the R session, which needs to
  be linked against the 'FlexiBLAS' wrapper library
  <https://www.mpi-magdeburg.mpg.de/projects/flexiblas>.

Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org