[R-sig-hpc] R, Nomad, HTCondor, etc... and future

Bennet Fauber bennet @end|ng |rom um|ch@edu
Fri May 22 13:53:58 CEST 2020

David,

Slurm is a good tool, especially if you are not doing complicated
scheduling things with it.  It is really designed to do HPC, so you
might want to take a quick look at your needs and see whether HPC is
really thing thing you want or whether you might be better off in an
HTC environment, like HTCondor.  They are really designed to do
different things in different ways.

Many, if not most, sites seem to end up building HPC clusters, but
many of the users might be better off with HTC, instead.  I'd counsel
you to take a scan through the HTCondor documentation, and at Open
Science Grid, just to get a sense of what the differences are.

For example, with HTCondor, you could configure workstations to be
part of your available resource pool during off hours, or if they are
idle, and it's much harder to do that with something like Slurm.

Anyway, you're buying the shoe, I would just make sure it fits well
before walking a long way with it.

-- bennet