[R-sig-hpc] Rmpi and mpirun

Vincent Boucher vincent@boucher@u @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Jul 13 15:06:02 CEST 2018

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion. Nothing I could find informative in the debug
output (or at least, that I could interpret). However, it made me think of
playing around with the options a bit... I think I found the issue (i.e. it
works at the moment!). I'm not sure why, but I post it here in case someone
has a similar issue.
I didn't discuss the setup, but I have a beowulf type cluster (a bunch of
old computers linked through Ethernet cables). The thing is that open mpi
first tries to find infiniband connections first (which obviously, I don't
have). Normally this is not an issue (at least it isn't for my Fortran90
codes) but it seems to screw with Rmpi... running the -mca btl ^openib as
in : mpirun -n 1 -mca btl ^openib --hostfile hostfile.txt R --interactive
Solves the problem...
It is weird since R, or mpirun, does not really issue any error related...

anyway, many thanks !

Vincent