[R-sig-hpc] Loading rgdal as PBS script in R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue May 10 10:13:36 CEST 2016

Hariom Singh <hariom.cs1 at ...> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> I thought I'd share this since we spent quite some time with it and it
> might be relevant to some of you. Or at least amusing, possibly.
>
> It is stated that, I am getting difficulty in loading rgdal R library while
> using  PBS script for parallel computing environment....
>

> + library("rgdal")
> +
> + } ########error...*.it always loaded without pbs scipt like
> library(rgdal) but here it is not loaded.....so what is the problem in

> ...) :   unable to load shared object
> '/SOFT/R320/lib64/R/library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so':  libgdal.so.20: cannot
> open shared object file: No such file or directory*
> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘rgdal’

The cause seems to be very obvious:

unable to load shared object
'/SOFT/R320/lib64/R/library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so':  libgdal.so.20: cannot

On a single core/node, the answer would be to (re)-run ldconfig and/or make
sure the underlying shared object to which rgdal links dynamically is
visible to your R process. If rgdal runs correctly on one node and not
others, then your setup is the problem, if nowhere, rgdal may have been
installed against a different GDAL installation than the one seen in the
search path. libgdal.so.20 (if that was the one rgdal.so was built against)
needs to be visible everywhere.

Roger