[R-sig-hpc] Installing R-3.3 on a HPC cluster

Ali Siavosh-Haghighi siavoa01 at nyumc.org
Thu May 5 18:49:23 CEST 2016

Hi All,
I recently started having problem installing R using the source code on our cluster. The cluster runs on CentOS 6.4 and
[root at phoenix2 siavoa01]# uname -a
Linux phoenix2 2.6.32-573.22.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 23 03:35:39 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It sucks it the following step inspire the fact that I installed the latest bzip2 available and the include/ and lib/ of it is already included in $CPATH and $LIB (I tried the R-3.3 and also previous R-devel):
checking if bzip2 version >= 1.0.6... no
checking whether bzip2 support suffices... configure: error: bzip2 library and headers are required
[root at phoenix2 R-3.3.0]# which bzip2
/local/apps/bzip2/1.0.6/bin/bzip2
[root at phoenix2 R-3.3.0]# bzip2 -V
bzip2, a block-sorting file compressor.  Version 1.0.6, 6-Sept-2010.

   Copyright (C) 1996-2010 by Julian Seward.

   it under the terms set out in the LICENSE file, which is included
   in the bzip2-1.0.6 source distribution.

   LICENSE file for more details.

bzip2: I won't write compressed data to a terminal.
bzip2: For help, type: `bzip2 --help'.

Ali  Siavosh-Haghighi, Ph.D.
HPC System Administrator
High Performance Computing Facility
Center for Health Informatics and Bioinformatics
NYU Langone Medical Center
Phone: (646) 501-2907
http://www.med.nyu.edu/chibi/services/hpcf