[R-sig-hpc] Running Rmpi with a Fortran program

Hodgess, Erin HodgessE at uhd.edu
Sat Oct 3 17:41:38 CEST 2015

Hello!

I'm experimenting with using MPI with Fortran rather than C.  However, mpiexec does not appear to be working.

Here are my various input files (note:  these are VERY simple-minded until I get things running)
Fortran:

   subroutine hellosub(size)

      include '/usr/local/bin/include/mpif.h'

      integer rank,size,ierror,tag,status(MPI_STATUS_SIZE)

      call MPI_INIT(ierror)

      call MPI_COMM_SIZE(MPI_COMM_WORLD,size,ierror)

      call MPI_COMM_RANK(MPI_COMM_WORLD,rank,ierror)

      call MPI_FINALIZE(ierror)

      end

Compilation statement:

mpif90 -shared -o hellosub.so hellosub.o

(no errors)

R code: (e4.in)

source("rmpi.test.R)

library(Rmpi)

dyn.load("hellousub.so")

rmpi.test(1)

rmpi.test.R

rmpi.test <-function(size) {

dyn.load("hellosub.so")

xplanet <- .Fortran("hellosub",size=as.integer(1))$size

cat("There are ", xplanet," planets in our universe\n")

}

Final run:

 mpiexec -np 4 R CMD BATCH e4.in e4.in

=   BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES

=   PID 606 RUNNING AT Es-MacBook-Air.local

=   EXIT CODE: 1

=   CLEANING UP REMAINING PROCESSES

=   YOU CAN IGNORE THE BELOW CLEANUP MESSAGES

This is run on a MacBook Air, with R Version 3.2.2.  The OS on the Mac is Yosemite, Version 10.10.5
  The mpif90 compiler is version 5.1.0.

Is it possible/plausible that R doesn't like the Fortran version of the MPI, please?

Thanks for any help!

Sincerely,
Erin