[R-sig-hpc] (R)mpi and '<U+FEFF>'

Stefan Lüdtke sluedtke at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Oct 15 21:29:48 CEST 2014

Dear friends,

I got kind of weird problem and no idea how to approach it. First,
what I do.

Again, on a HPC with Rmpi we run a script that does, at very first,
fetches some data from a PostGreSQL DB. The SQL query is read from a
file via 'readLines()'.

What does work.

1) the query itself from psql or pgadmin.
2) the query within the R -script on my local machine and on the cluster

but (and that is the part why I am writing to the list), as soon as
the number of requested cores is that large, that batch system (lsf in
this case) spread the tasks over 2 host, the script fails.

I tried with pure Rmpi, doMPI and foreach and RODBCext and RPostGreSQL
and always encountered the same problem.

Comming back to my subject stated above, the error is:

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "<U+FEFF>WITH"

where my actual query starts with 'WITH'.

Those guys ...
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/BUG-6271-psql-f-reporting-unexpected-syntax-errors-on-first-command-td4940320.html

.... talk about a BOM at the beginning of the line, but somehow this
BOM must be introduced to my file by MPI or Rmpi or whatever .. I have
no idea.

So, any hint is very welcome.

Stefan

- --
Stefan Lüdtke

Section 5.4-  Hydrology
Tel.: +49 331 288 2821 <https://rz-vm54.gfz-potsdam.de:443>
Fax: +49 331 288 1570 <https://rz-vm54.gfz-potsdam.de:443>
Email: sluedtke at gfz-potsdam.de

Helmholtz-Zentrum Potsdam
Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum GFZ
(GFZ German Research Centre for Geoscience)
Stiftung des öff. Rechts Land Brandenburg
Telegrafenberg, 14473 Potsdam