[R-sig-hpc] foreach on HPC

Stefan Lüdtke sluedtke at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Oct 15 11:11:55 CEST 2014

Dear friends,

we run an application on a HPC using the foreach package linked with
doMPI. Each iteration is quite RAM hungry, so we have been touching the
limit of 128GB. At the moment, the admin is figuring out whether an "out
of memory" killed the job or not, so apparently it did not finish
successfully.

Now coming to my question: A couple of iterations run fine and I was
checking the load of the host every now and then using "htop". I was
observing that htop listed R processes that did not use any cpu at all
but have been occupying up to 4% of RAM. So, what are these processes?
Do I still see finished iterations that eat RAM from the system, and if
so, how do I get rid of them??

Thanks in advance!

Stefan

--
Stefan Lüdtke

Section 5.4-  Hydrology
Tel.: +49 331 288 2821 <https://rz-vm54.gfz-potsdam.de:443>
Fax: +49 331 288 1570 <https://rz-vm54.gfz-potsdam.de:443>
Email: sluedtke at gfz-potsdam.de

Helmholtz-Zentrum Potsdam
Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum GFZ
(GFZ German Research Centre for Geoscience)
Stiftung des öff. Rechts Land Brandenburg
Telegrafenberg, 14473 Potsdam