[R-sig-hpc] Out-of-control SOCK/PSOCK cluster

Jonathan Greenberg jgrn at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 25 19:00:18 CET 2014

R-sig-hpc'ers:

I was curious if there are any "safe" ways to kill an out-of-control
SOCK/PSOCK workers on Windows/Macs.  Thus far, on a Windows box I've
been having to force-quit them from the task manager or by running a
command line "Taskkill".  On Mac, I use a kill -9 or the Activity
Monitor.  I'd like to write an R script to do this, but right now all
I can do is kill ALL R workers via name matching, which may kill
non-cluster R instances.  Is there a way to get the PIDs or is there
an existing function to safely kill a cluster, specifically one
created via the parallel package?  Cheers!

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Assistant Professor