[R-sig-hpc] (Free) Course 29-30 May, HPC Wales: Parallel Computing with R using SPRINT on post-genomic data

Thorsten Forster thorsten.forster at ed.ac.uk
Wed Apr 23 16:45:08 CEST 2014

Dear List Members

Registration is now open for the above course, this is free to all and part-funded by PRACE (and run in conjunction with ARCHER and HPC Wales). After recent upgrades to SPRINT (now also running on Mac multi-cores and compatible with MPI3) we have put this course together to provide guidance for its use.

Registration and information available here:
http://www.archer.ac.uk/training/

Who may benefit:
Anyone dealing with large data sets (next gen sequencing or microarray data) in R, where computation times or memory issues arise when using machine learning (clustering, classification) or other approaches (bootstrapping, measuring distances between sequences, applying functions for large matrices, other statistics).

This course is not intended to introduce or develop parallel programming skills, although you?re more than welcome to join in and/or seek us out for discussion of "Big Data" in R.

Pre-requisites:
Basic familiarity with using R. Basic familiarity with large biological data sets (not a hard requirement, but our use cases will focus on these types of data).
Visit www.r-sprint.org to get an overview of the parallelised functionality SPRINT currently provides.

SPRINT Project

sprint at ed.ac.uk
www.r-sprint.org

The University of Edinburgh

Dr. Thorsten Forster
Division of Pathway Medicine (DPM)
University of Edinburgh Medical School
Chancellor's Building
49 Little France Crescent
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
EH16 4SB
 0131 242 6287
www.pathwaymedicine.ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.