[R-sig-hpc] Addendum to Rmpi installation

Lockwood, Glenn glock at sdsc.edu
Thu Sep 19 17:32:26 CEST 2013

Ben,

It looks like your cluster has Intel MPI and MVAPICH2 installed, neither of which is supported by Rmpi.  There is a blog post (see http://leftcensored.skepsi.net/2011/03/28/using-r-and-snow-on-ohio-supercomputer-centers-glenn-cluster/) on how you can try to get Rmpi to install using MVAPICH2, and Intel MPI is based on MVAPICH2 so you might want to give it a try.

With that being said, we've never been able to get Rmpi with mvapich2 to actually work here.  It compiles and installs, but upon loading it, it throws all sorts of awful errors.  We just use OpenMPI instead, which works a lot more reliably with Rmpi.

Glenn

--
Glenn K. Lockwood, Ph.D.
SDSC User Services