[R-sig-hpc] force quitting a parallel cluster on Windows

Jonathan Greenberg jgrn at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 19 01:07:05 CEST 2013

Folks:

Occasionally I'll start a process via foreach with a
registerDoParallel() backend, and will need to interrupt the process,
but I occasionally get a "runaway" cluster (the workers do not
terminate, nor does stopCluster(cl) work.  So far (on a Windows box)
this involves sending via Windows command line:

taskkill /im Rscript.exe

I was wondering if there is a better (within-R) way of killing a
misbehaving *parallel* cluster, short of wrapping that statement (or a
kill -9 on Unix-like systems) in a system() call?

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Assistant Professor