[R-sig-hpc] Difference between PSOCK and MPI?

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Sat Apr 13 19:39:25 CEST 2013

A number of problems can arise for the unwary.  Having more than one MPI
implementation installed can create path problems, for instance.  Some
implementations take over all the cores even when idle.  One must
arrange passwordless logins.  Error messages are often subliminal.

As I said, none of this is a (big) problem for power users, but I
believe there are lots of people who need parallel computation in R but
are not power users.

Norm