[R-sig-hpc] Difference between PSOCK and MPI?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Apr 11 22:43:45 CEST 2013

On Apr 11, 2013, at 2:23 PM, Marius Hofert wrote:

> Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> writes:
>
>> On 9 April 2013 at 23:24, Marius Hofert wrote:
>> | What are the main differences (advantages/drawbacks) between parallel's makeCluster(,
>> | type="PSOCK") and makeCluster(, type="MPI")? According to
>> | http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html, MPI has
>> | become the 'standard', although the default type of makeCluster() is "PSOCK". Is
>> | "PSOCK" more compatible in that it does not need an installation such as
>> | (open)MPI? slower/faster/no difference?
>>
>> You don't want PSOCK.
>>
>> It is the lowest common demoninator which even works (for various definitions
>> of "work") on Windoze.
>
> Hi Dirk,
>
> thanks for helping. Indeed, we don't want that. The reason I was asking for is
> the following: I am writing a package (jointly with Martin) where we make use of
> makeCluster(). The 'natural' default would be to use the default of the
> 'type' argument ("PSOCK") and leave it up to the user to decide if he wants to replace
> it by "MPI". On the other hand, one could make "MPI" the default advocating
> 'good practice'. Since we are unsure, I thought I ask about the differences
> between the two to get a better feeling for what a good default would be.

One thing to consider for a package is that MPI is probably not available in the majority of cases. In fact, MPI back-end is not even available in parallel by default (it routes to "snow" strangely ...). Although PSOCK is not the best performant back-end it is reasonably easy to setup so I would certainly keep it as default. If someone knows how to setup MPI then they do know how to set the optional argument, not the other way around ;).

Cheers,
Simon