[R-sig-hpc] gputools for Windows

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Sep 13 23:50:53 CEST 2012

On 13 September 2012 at 14:25, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
| R runs under CygWin now, so perhaps it could be done that way.

I would hasten to add that according to R Core, there is precisely one way to
use R on Windows: using MinGW.

For the rest, you're on your own.  And on Windows I have never found that to
be a good starting position.

As for gputools: these are pretty compiler-dependent because of way Nvidia
wraps its stuff up, and I would be almost certain that on that particular OS
you are required to use the compiler by the same firm, which pretty much
precludes using R object code with it. Unless you are really detemined, and
really know the toolchain.

So in short, I'd stick to Linux if you want to work with GPUs from R.

Dirk