[R-sig-hpc] Problems parallelizing glmnet

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Fri Sep 7 02:31:47 CEST 2012

On 09/06/2012 04:09 PM, Peter Langfelder wrote:
> FWIW, the foreach construct itself (without any parallel backend) is
> quite slow and I would not use to loop over a large number of quick
> calculations.

Peter, this is right.  It is not a general replacement for a for
loop.... there's too much infrastructure involved.  However, we
typically write all of our code that will be parallelized for deployment
using %dopar% and then use registerDoSEQ() and run single threaded on a
smaller test set while debugging.

Regards,

    - Brian

--