[R-sig-hpc] randomForest and foreach plotting issue

Matthew Gilbert matthew.douglas.gilbert at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 20:20:54 CEST 2012

Hi,

When I run randomForest sequentially I am able to plot the errors using
plot() however when I try to perform randomForest within a foreach loop
the resulting object throws errors when I try to plot it. mse seems to
not be returned in the parallel structure. Has anyone run into this
problem before? Below is an example of the issue

Thanks,
Matt

library(randomForest)
library(foreach)
library(doMC)
registerDoMC()

data(mtcars)
rf <- randomForest(mpg ~ ., mtcars, keep.forest=FALSE, ntree=100)
plot(rf)

rf.par <- foreach(ntree=rep(50, 2), .combine=combine,
.packages='randomForest') %dopar% randomForest(mpg ~ ., mtcars,
keep.forest=FALSE, ntree=ntree)
plot(rf.par)

Error in array(x, c(length(x), 1L), if (!is.null(names(x)))
list(names(x),  :
   attempt to set an attribute on NULL

traceback()

7: array(x, c(length(x), 1L), if (!is.null(names(x))) list(names(x),
        NULL) else NULL)
6: as.matrix.default(y)
5: as.matrix(y)
4: ncol(y <- as.matrix(y))
3: matplot(1:x$ntree, err, type = type, xlab = "trees", ylab = "Error",
        main = main, ...)
2: plot.randomForest(rf.par)
1: plot(rf.par)