[R-sig-hpc] New AMD Bulldozer for Parallel Computing with R

Andreas Recktenwald a.recktenwald at mx.uni-saarland.de
Fri Mar 23 12:14:40 CET 2012

Dear R enthusiasts,

i`m planning to set up a new PC and consider to buy an AMD FX-8120. For
my estimations (with floating-point data) I use the genoud optimizer in
the package rgenoud which (at least I think) would be able to handle the
8 cores. Is anybody using the AMD proc for computing with R and could
tell about the performance? What scares me a bit to just buy it are the
huge amount of benchmarks on the net which tell that AMD has really bad
performance ( especially for single-threaded apps). Would the Intel I7
2600 be the better alternative? All the Intel 6-core processors are out
of budget for me.

Best regards,

Andreas Recktenwald

--
Dipl.-Kfm. Andreas Recktenwald

Universität des Saarlandes – Fakultät für Rechts- und
Wirtschaftswissenschaften

Lehrstuhl für Statistik und Ökonometrie

Campus C3 1, Zimmer 206

66123 Saarbrücken