[R-sig-hpc] Parallel loop

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:59:27 CET 2012

On 12-03-15 02:02 PM, Norm Matloff wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 05:27:23PM +0000, Michael Spiegel wrote:
>
>> (Apologies if this has already been discussed) I've found it unexpectedly painless to compile R from source on a linux machine, if you'd rather not wait for your IS people. From memory, I believe the necessary commands are:
>>
>> ./configure --without-X
>> make
>
> One must also have some sort of FORTRAN compiler available.  Many
> systems don't.
>
> Norm Matloff

This strikes me a a pretty severe constraint on a system that is for
HPC.  Don't you find that limits the local tuning you might do, the
availability of packages, etc.?  Is there a reason for not installing a
fortran compiler?  Do you have a C compiler?  (I am still trying to
understand the various piece of parallel computing, and the sorts of
environments people use, but this caught me by surprise.)

Paul