[R-sig-hpc] Matrix multiplication

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 20:05:50 CET 2012

On 12-03-13 12:50 PM, Brian G. Peterson wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 12:40 -0400, Paul Gilbert wrote:
>> Brian
>>
>> Thanks for spelling this out for those of us that are a bit slow.
>> (Newbie questions below)
>
> <... snip ...>
>
>>> So, if your BLAS does multithreaded matrix multiplication, it will use
>>> multiple threads 'implicitly', as Simon pointed out.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to know if the R I am using has been compiled with
>> multi-thread BLAS support?
>
> BLAS should be 'plug and play', as R is usually compiled to use a shared
> object BLAS.  As such, installing the BLAS on your machine (and
> appropriately configuring it) should 'just work' with te new BLAS when
> you restart R.
>
> Dirk et. al. wrote a paper, now a bit dated, that benchmarked some of
> the BLAS libraries, that should have some additional details.

(I have a long history of getting things that should 'just work' to
'just not work'.) But I didn't really state my question very well. I'm
really wondering about two related situations. How can I confirm after a
change to underlying system that R is using the new configuration, and
second, if I am  running benchmarks in R is there an easy way to record
the underlying configuration that is being used.

Thanks again,
Paul