[R-sig-hpc] Rsge combined with mclapply?

Daniel Sabanés Bové daniel.sabanesbove at ifspm.uzh.ch
Tue Jun 5 12:19:43 CEST 2012

Dear Dan Bode,

first of all I would like to thank you very much for your R-package
"Rsge". It looks very helpful, because I need to submit my parallel jobs
on the local cluster using SGE.

Actually I have a trivially parallel problem which could be sequentially
solved by lapply(), and on a single machine with multiple cores by
mclapply() from the base R-package "parallel". Because the local cluster
has nodes with multiple cores, I would like to combine sge.parLapply (to
distribute to nodes) with mclapply (not lapply, to distribute to cores
in each node).

Before doing some modifications to sge.parParApply like introducing
another apply.method for mclapply, I would like to be sure that you have
not already programmed a nice solution for this problem. So, did you
already have the same problem as I am facing now? Would you think
another apply.method for sge.parParApply would be a good way to go?

Thank you very much in advance for any hints or suggestions.

Best regards
Daniel Sabanes

--
Daniel Sabanés Bové