[R-sig-hpc] Wired problem in using 'snow' on HPC

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 22:10:05 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Libo Sun <libosun at rams.colostate.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a wired problem in using 'snow' on HPC. I try to use 256 or more
> cores, but it stops immediately just right after starting. However, it
> works fine if I use the exactly the same R code for 96 cores. There is no
> core count limit.
>
> I would appreciate any ideas!

Please remember to post questions that are detailed enough to answer.
A good start here would be for you to upload your submission script
and R file on some file server and announce links in here with a
description of the problem. Also post the output files.

Possible reasons why your job might die?

1. your cluster administrator has blocked you from using more than 255 cores
2. your cluster only has 97 cores
3. there's a typographical error in your submission script
4. your submission script asks for impossible-to-fulfill memory allocations.
5. your R code has a mistake

pj