[R-sig-hpc] Conflicts between 'parallel' and 'Rprof', and between two parallel R sessions

Zepu Zhang zepu.zhang at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 01:31:38 CET 2012

Dear list,

I observed two problems that I suppose are generic.

First, using 'Rprof' to profile a parallel (based on the package
'parallel') code caused

.... Error in unserialize(node$con) : error reading from connection....

Second, on a multicore desktop, I concurrently opened two separate
terminals and ran two separate R sessions, both running (actually
identical) parallel code (which sets up a cluster with as many nodes
as there are cores). I got

 ...Error in socketConnection("localhost", port = port, server = TRUE,
blocking = TRUE,  :   cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In socketConnection("localhost", port = port, server = TRUE, blocking = TRUE,  :
  port 10187 cannot be opened

Are there ways to do the two things above without problems?

Thanks!

Zepu