[R-sig-hpc] Get identical results for parallel and sequential?

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Sun Feb 12 01:50:40 CET 2012

No, it's certainly not sufficient to simply make sure the same random
number stream is used.

Depending on the manner in which work is partitioned to processes,
things can occur in an order different from that one gets in a
sequential version.

In typical cases, this will affect only roundoff error, and the parallel
and sequential results should be close to each other.

But they could be quite different.  Say for instance you are doing
variable selection in regression.  Different partitions of the data
could give different sets of predictor variables being chosen, etc.

So, if your results are quite different, the first guess would be that
you simply have a programming error, but there could be inherent
algorithmic issues too.

Norm Matloff

Norm

----- Forwarded message from Libo Sun <libosun at rams.colostate.edu> -----