[R-sig-hpc] Rmpi + mclapply: "In selectChildren(ac, 1) : error 'Interrupted system call' in select"

Marius Hofert marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 28 12:21:44 CET 2012

Dear expeRts,

I have an R package that depends on 'Rmpi'. In there, I use 'mclapply' from
'parallel'. This produces warning messages of the type

,----
| 1: In selectChildren(ac, 1) : error 'Interrupted system call' in select
| 2: In selectChildren(ac, 1) : error 'Interrupted system call' in select
| 3: In selectChildren(ac, 1) : error 'Interrupted system call' in select
`----

Here is a minimal example:

require(Rmpi)
set.seed(1)
foo <- parallel::mclapply(seq_len(10), function(l)
                          lapply(1:10, function(x) mean(rnorm(10000, mean=x))),
                          mc.cores=4)

How can this be avoided? Note: there is no way I can omit loading 'Rmpi'. Still,
I would like to call 'mclapply'.

Cheers,

Marius