[R-sig-hpc] compiling sprng (for rsprng)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Dec 20 15:53:19 CET 2012

On 18 December 2012 at 14:18, Saptarshi Guha wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I wish to use the sprng module and began by compiling sprng 4.4. After a
| successful configure (centos6), and then make, i get the following error:
|
| chmod: cannot access `./checklfg': No such file or directory
| make[5]: *** [checklfg] Error 1
| make[5]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
| chmod: cannot access `./timelfg': No such file or directory
| make[5]: *** [timelfg] Error 1
| make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/sguha/tmp/sprng4.4/check/lfg/F77'
| make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
| make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/sguha/tmp/sprng4.4/check/lfg/F77'
| make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
| make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sguha/tmp/sprng4.4/check/lfg'
| make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sguha/tmp/sprng4.4/check'
| make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sguha/tmp/sprng4.4'
| make: *** [all] Error 2
|

| Has anyone seen this? Does a solution exist?

I have been maintaining sprng for Debian since 2004, and it is about the only
package I am not upgrading to newer sources ... as I found their build system
to be impossible to work with. That was sprng3 and I think they redid it but
life being short and other tasks waiting I have not yet returned to this. So
we're still at sprng2. And may remain there forever.

That said, can you use one of the other stream generators?  Package parallel
in base R reworked a few things there IIRC.

Dirk