[R-sig-hpc] Parallel linear model

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Thu Aug 23 01:18:31 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 06:03:36PM -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:

> This  is a great example and I would like to use it in class.  But I
> think I don't understand the implications of the system.time output
> you get.  I have a question about this below. Would you share your
> thoughts?...

Paul is bringing up a very important point here.

There are various OS dependencies that can really change things.  A
notable example is that if one calls something like mclapply(), the time
actually spent by the child R processes probably will NOT be counted in
the User time.  The latter will likely just measure how much time the
parent process spend in parceling out the work to the children, and in
collecting together the results.

You have the same problem on a cluster, where the worker processes set
up by clusterApply() or whatever aren't counted.

You could on the other hand have the opposite problem in some OSes,
where once gets the SUM of the times of the children.

Using Elapsed time might be a little crude, but generally good enough.

Norm