[R-sig-hpc] parallel and openblas

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Apr 25 21:19:42 CEST 2012

On 25 April 2012 at 14:38, Simon Urbanek wrote:
| FWIW: Based on this discussion, I have added the capability to manage CPU affinity mask in R-devel. In the short term you can use mcaffinity() to control the affinity yourself, so for example mcaffinity(1:ncores) will allow R to run on any core or you can restrict your parallel jobs to certain CPU ranges. Eventually, R/parallel should handle that for you by partitioning cores to child processes (we are missing mandatory core detection and tracking to do that), for now the closest you get is mc.affiinity in mcparallel() to spread children yourself.

That sounds like the great addition!  It is hard to find 'one size fits all'
settings, particularly for a distribution, and having control / a toggle to
adjust seems like a nice improvement.

Thanks, Dirk

--
R/Finance 2012 Conference on May 11 and 12, 2012 at UIC in Chicago, IL
See agenda, registration details and more at http://www.RinFinance.com