[R-sig-hpc] parallel and openblas

Martin Renner greatauklet at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 21:53:11 CEST 2012

Parallel and openblas don't seem to mix well on my machine. If I link openblas, a job executed through parallel (using either the multicore or snow (local socket cluster) setup), each of my 8 cores only operates at 1/8 of 100% (taking a little longer than serial execution). Linking to the reference blas or to single-threaded atlas does not cause this handicap when running snow or multicore.

Is this a known problem (My google attempts were fruitless)? If yes, is there a fix for it? Do MKL or multi-threaded atlas have the same issues?

Thank you for your time.

Martin Renner
Post-doctoral Fellow				phone: 907-226 4672
University of Washington			   or: 907-235 0728
School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences		Seattle, USA

debian squeeze on 8-core Xeon
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.15.0 (2012-03-30)
Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)

[1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
[3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
[7] LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C
[9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C

attached base packages: