[R-sig-hpc] What to Experiment With?

Whit Armstrong armstrong.whit at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 02:10:47 CEST 2012

Save your money.

EC2...
rzmq...
deathstar...

It's as simple as this:
cl <- startCluster(ami="ami-9d5f93f4",key="maher-ave",instance.count=2,instance.type="c1.xlarge")
print("starting sim.")
run.time <- system.time(ans <-
zmq.cluster.lapply(cluster=cl$instances[,"dnsName"],as.list(1:1e3),estimatePi))
print("sim completed.")
res <- terminateCluster(cl)

Your functions and your data go across the wire, and the results come
back to your machine.  You don't have to log into any cloud instances
to execute this, it runs from your desktop...

There is no need to buy big machines anymore unless you have highly
sensitive data (that you don't want going over the wire) or you need
co-location.

<shameless plug>
I'll be talking about these tools at R/Finance (come to the conference!)
http://www.rinfinance.com/agenda/
</shameless plug>

-Whit