[R-sig-hpc] Choosing Intel MKL BLAS when compiling R

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Nov 2 16:35:00 CET 2011

On 2 November 2011 at 11:18, Simon Urbanek wrote:

| On Nov 2, 2011, at 10:57 AM, Michael Braun wrote:
|
| > Interesting.  Incidentally, I mis-typed my link link below.  Usually I link to MKL using -lmkl_rt -liomp5 (without the -lpthread).  I'm still learning the vagaries of C++ and system libraries, but does this mean that I have been bypassing the Apple implementation?  If Intel's libiomp5 does not have this problem, would that explain why my code seems to be working?  Or is this an unrelated issue?
| >

| I think you may be misunderstanding - what Dirk said is that MKL and OMP in R don't mix well and I said that we don't use OMP in R on OS X so it is irrelevant for OS X.

>From NEWS (and the text is still identical between r-devel and 2.14.0)

    o configure looks for support for OpenMP and if found compiles R
      with appropriate flags and also makes them available for use in
      packages: see 'Writing R Extensions'.

      This is currently experimental, and is only used in R with a
      single thread for colSums() and colMeans().  Expect it to be more
      widely used in later versions of R.

      This can be disabled by the --disable-openmp flag.

It is my understanding that more of this will be forthcoming. Is that not correct?

Michael Rutter actually gets the credit in noticing the issue.

Dirk

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx