[R-sig-hpc] An error with Rmpi

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 00:59:53 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Prashantha Hebbar
<prashantha.hebbar at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> I have successfully installed MPICH2 and Rmpi after working around my previous
> problem. But when I call Rmpi in R environment I get following error. Hence, Can
> any one tell me what could be the issue here to get this following error?
>
>> library(Rmpi)
> [mlscubl10-desktop:02030] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: A system-required
> executable either could not be found or was not executable by this user in file

When you say you "successfully installed", does that mean other MPI
programs do run, but Rmpi uniquely does not?

Or is it possible the installation of Rmpi is done in an environment
that is different from that in which the program is running?

On the basis of my recent experience configuring the OpenMPI on a
Rocks Linux Cluster, the usual situation finds the "successful
install" leaving a bunch of required programs in /opt/OpenMPI/bin and
some libraries installed in a location that is out of the library
search path.  I think the error message are trying to tell you
that--the executables are not where R expects them to be.

Oh, and note you DO need to re-build Rmpi after the MPI support
libraries are changed.  And when you do that, you usually need to
explicitly specify the include directory, so when you do the
"successful install" of Rmpi, how about showing us the command you run
and the output from the build. ?

Good luck!

pj

--