[R-sig-hpc] set priority for R processes in spawned nodes using SNOW

Murray Stokely murray at stokely.org
Wed Mar 2 04:21:53 CET 2011

There is probably a more direct way to do this with SNOW, but one way
you can change the priority of a running R instance on Unix is with
renice.  You could use this as the first R code your spawned tasks run
:

> system(paste("renice 10 -p", Sys.getpid()))
20121: old priority 0, new priority 10

There's probably a way to hook this or similar commands into the
initialization code when spawning the worker tasks with SNOW.

            - Murray