[R-sig-hpc] Handling data with thousands of variables

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini mauricio.zambrano at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Tue Jun 28 11:45:54 CEST 2011

Håvard Wahl Kongsgård wrote:
> Yes, as the problem is more or less identical to DNA microarray
> analysis, using bioconductor is a possibility. Don't have much
> experience with Bioconductor, microarray data and genome mapping etc.
> But converting the data first to a dictionary like class and then to
> an array would be a possibility.
>
> -Håvard

I don't have any experience with Python dictionaries,  but R factors
should be able to replace their functionality.

As Sean mentioned, R is quite happy with large amount of data, so I
suggest you to implement your solution, and if you have some specific
problem, go to the corresponding mailing list.

All the best,

Mauricio
Linux user #454569 -- Ubuntu user #17469