[R-sig-hpc] Handling data with thousands of variables

Han De Vries handevries at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 20:37:26 CEST 2011

Indeed, if you would store this as a regular 100M x 20K matrix you
would run into memory problems. However, the sparse matrix storage
format might reduce its size by a factor 10, 100 or more. The exact
amount will depend on the sparseness of your data, i.e. the average
number of keywords per record. So, if you would have 20K unique
keywords, with an average of 10 keywords per record, each row of the
matrix would contain 19990 zeroes on average. These zeroes don't use
memory in a sparse matrix format, because only the non-zero cells and
their row/column coordinates are stored.