[R-sig-hpc] GPU packages and 'Debian R Policy'

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Jan 18 13:25:33 CET 2011

On 17 January 2011 at 17:34, Kevin.Buckley at ecs.vuw.ac.nz wrote:
| Hi there,
|
| We have an Ubuntu-based host for a Tesla GPU card.
|
| We thus have a core R installtion provided by Ubuntu's
| packages.
|
| I have been asked to add a number of GPU-related R packages
| but am keen to keep a disticntion between packages I can manage
| via the Synaptic/Apt interfaces and those I need to install
| locally.
|
| I found references to the 'Debian R Policy' dating back to 2003.
|
| Is that, /usr/local/lib/R/site-library, still the accepted/acceptable
| way to go?

For many of us, yes.  See r-sig-debian for past discussions and
recommendations.

| On other resources, where the built-from-source R, which I notice
| doesn't create a site-library directory, was installed as /opt/R,
| I'd placed libraries into /opt/Rlibs and ensured R_LIBS was set
| in the environment.

You can only expect the 'Debian Policy' to be reflected in builds that know
about it, so I would *strongly* recommend the Ubuntu binaries from

   $CRANmirror/bin/linux/ubuntu/

This question is really more about R on Debian/Ubuntu so please consider
moving it to r-sig-debian.

Cheers, Dirk