[R-sig-hpc] Version 1.1 of Rdsm

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 4 09:15:55 CET 2011

The new version of my Rdsm package (threads programming for R) is now on
CRAN.  Some of the changes include an improved autolaunch, a streamlined
variable creation function, and an expanded thread signalling
capability.

Rdsm now also includes an interface to bigmemory.  Some of you may
recall that when I released the first version of Rdsm, I stated that I
had plans to implement a version for Jay Emerson and Mike Kane's
bigmemory package.  I had written a prototype, but there were in the
midst of upgrading bigmemory, so I decided to wait until their new
version came out.  However, busy academic lives being what they are, I
never followed through.

However, recently I realized that that no modifications were necessary
anyway.  I realized that my Rdsm package can be used directly on
bigmemory, without any bigmemory-specific changes to Rdsm.  Indeed, the
user can write application code in which Rdsm variables and bigmemory
variables coexist.

So, the new Rdsm version includes a function to create bigmemory
variables, and examples of using Rdsm with bigmemory.

Norm Matloff