[R-sig-hpc] Serializing global state from within a namespace to distribute to other workers

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Nov 9 21:50:11 CET 2010

Murray Stokely <murray at ...> writes:

> I have a package which implements a parallelapply function for my
> environment but I'm having trouble moving the package into a NAMESPACE
> because of how the function is serialized by save() including the
> NAMESPACESXP of the package.

This is only an oblique follow-up - are there any tools for finding out whether
the serialisation of an object will cause the serialisation of its environment?
I've looked around, for example in the codetools package, but do not see
anything obvious. I've also been hit by objects being serialised (both for snow
and even just for save() - which I think is the underlying mechanism here)
ending up about two orders of magnitude larger than the object.size() reported.

Roger