[R-sig-hpc] Rmpi on NetBSD with OpenMPI

Kevin.Buckley at ecs.vuw.ac.nz Kevin.Buckley at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed May 19 01:28:37 CEST 2010

> Kevin, Aleksej,
>
> Sorry for jumping here late but ...

Never a problem,

> ... we had very similar issues with Open MPI 1.2.* and the global
> visibility of symbols which lead Hao Yu (Rmpi's author) and myself
> (Debian Rmpi maintainer, and at one time also Debian openmpi
> co-maintainer) to do a lot of tests.  You can probably find old
> posts of mine on the openmpi lists.

I will certainly go and target my search using that info: sounds as
though it will be very instructive.

> I believe that for us, the 'winning' change was
>
> #ifdef OPENMPI
> 	dlopen("libmpi.so.0", RTLD_GLOBAL | RTLD_LAZY);
> #endif
>
> after which we were golden.

Exactly what I was rambling on about, that makes it explicit.

However, I suppose the question that needs to be asked of you now
is, if  that worked so well for you then, how come it is no longer
visible (explicit) in the current version of Rmpi.

Had it still been there, then I believe that this issue would not
have arisen?

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971