[R-sig-hpc] parallel code using snowfall

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Mar 24 12:12:54 CET 2010

On 03/24/2010 05:31 AM, Carl Boettiger wrote:
> Dear R-sig-phylo,
>
> Is there a way to export all functions from a particular namespace in
> sfExport?
>
> I find I can export all functions I have declared using sfExportAll(), but
> functions I have imported from a library I have to export one by one:
>
> sfExport("fn1", namespace="packagename")
> sfExport("fn2", namespace="packagename")
> sfExport("fn3", namespace="packagename2")
>
> Also, is it computationally inefficient to export more functions than
> necessary for the computation?  Thanks again for the help,

The 'foreach' package will automatically export any variables or
functions that execute inside the foreach 'loop' construct.  Others that
are not obviously needed (such as packages with hidden dependencies) may
be explicitly exported.  foreach has a 'doSNOW' parallel backend.

It is not 'computationally inefficient' per se to export more than
required, but it does take time to register all those objects, and to
move them across the network.  So it is generally best to send only what
you need to workers, and focus their activities on CPU-bound tasks,
returning summary data that may be recombined and manuipulated by the
master node.

Regards,

     - Brian

--