[R-sig-hpc] How to configure R to work with GPUs transparently

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Mar 19 18:23:46 CET 2010

On 19 March 2010 at 11:55, Spiers, Brad wrote:
|    I am trying to get R to work with an NVIDIA GPU transparently.  I
| know about gputools, but they require changing R scripts to include
| "gpu" before the relevant calls.

Correct.

In order to execute code on the GPU instead of the CPU, you actually need to
have code that the GPU understands and that is written in a way the such that
the GPU features are taken advantage of.

And sadly, there is no magic wand that takes existing code and just makes it
work there.  Just how you can't just execute your (x86) Windows binaries on
your (old PPC) Mac etc pp.

|    According to the Cula Tools folks, R is actually a client of theirs,
| so there should be some way to get R to work with GPUs natively.  I

Can you quote what they state, please?

| seriously doubt that I am the first person to try this.  If someone has
| done this, could you please share how you have done so?  If you know
| that this does not work, could you please confirm?  Thanks.

Dirk

--
  Registration is open for the 2nd International conference R / Finance 2010
  See http://www.RinFinance.com for details, and see you in Chicago in April!