[R-sig-hpc] Using R in a linux cluster

Paco Pastor paco at ceam.es
Tue Jun 15 16:02:45 CEST 2010

Hello

I'd like to use R in a Ubuntu cluster so I have installed R and Rmpi in
a clean Ubuntu Lucid installation. Reading about Rmpi I need to have R
and Rmpi installed in all nodes in the cluster. I have tried to export R
executable and /usr/lib/R to the other nodes. When I try to run R in
node2 I get the following error

meteo at boira2:/boira/R$ ./R

./R: line 208: /usr/lib/R/etc/ldpaths: No such file or directory

/usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries: libR.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Then, after exporting /etc/R I get a the same error with libblas.so.3gf
not found

What should be better? to install R and Rmpi in every node or to export
R and all dependencies from the master node to the rest of nodes in the
cluster? I'd prefer to keep R installed just in the master node so any
packages update or config changes are not to be repeated in the other
nodes (just 2, not a big deal but...)

Thanks in advance.

Francisco Pastor
Meteorology department
Fundación CEAM
paco at ceam.es
http://www.ceam.es/ceamet - http://www.ceam.es
Parque Tecnologico, C/ Charles R. Darwin, 14
46980 PATERNA (Valencia), Spain
Tlf. 96 131 82 27 - Fax. 96 131 81 90