[R-sig-hpc] benchmark problems

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Jun 8 03:19:25 CEST 2010

Hi Max,

On 7 June 2010 at 20:53, Max Kuhn wrote:
| Yes, those are being run. I wanted something from within R to
| specifically evaluate that build. For example, R built with icc
| instead of gcc.

That is a nice idea! Something that has been suggested in the past was to
simply run the whole regression test which resembles 'normal' load as it
covers a variety of tasks. So you could

       cd gcc-build && /usr/bin/time make check-all

       cd icc-build && /usr/bin/time make check-all

| Also, I want to test a variety of computational problems.

Simon has a page here

	http://r.research.att.com/benchmarks/

Also, we just started an R-Forge project aiming to collect gpu/cpu benchmarks
and cutoff points (ie to answer "who wins when"). That will require some
basic infrastructure building as well.  Do you want to join in the effort?

We're at

	https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/gcb

but as I said there isn't much there yet...

--
  Regards, Dirk