[R-sig-hpc] "chunking" parallel tasks

Saptarshi Guha saptarshi.guha at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 19:32:46 CET 2010

One other approach, were the computation per chunk runs into
several(tens of ) minutes, is to monitor the running time of long
running tasks(each working on a chunk), if greater than a cut off,
split the chunk and assign to unused (or lesser loaded) machines. If a
task for a particular chunk finishes earlier than some task for a
duplicated task, invalidate the latter and kill it.
Of course, the run time for a chunk should be greater(much) than the
cost of duplicating a chunk, reading it in and starting new tasks. To
implement this, one would have write a system which actually monitors
the running time tasks, the chunking and duplication.

I think Hadoop Mapreduce does something similar, though it is most
certainly not the best tool for some tasks.

Regards
Saptarshi