[R-sig-hpc] doSNOW + foreach = embarrassingly frustrating computation

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 22:38:41 CET 2010

SNOW shouldn't be complex -- not if people do the right thing and
appropriately add a backend (i.e. similar to what Revolution did for
NWS).  If you like to roll your own and target your own architecture,
fine.  And after someone else finds it inefficient, history will
repeat itself rather than learning.

SNOW provides portability, which MPI doesn't provide.  Portability and
reproducibility are important, even if people think that simplicity
and ease of use are wonderful things.

I'll point out the usual analogy,
http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html  for why SNOW won't win
and worse is better.