[R-sig-hpc] Makevars.in - changing compiler

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Dec 8 05:52:58 CET 2010

On 7 December 2010 at 23:44, George Ostrouchov wrote:
| Is it possible to set a package compiler via Makevars.in? I need to
| substitute mpicc (an Open MPI wrapper compiler). My attempts just
| setting CC=mpicc in Makevars.in have failed.

For an R package?

| Is Makevars just "included before the default `Makefile'" as it states
| in the "Writing R Extensions" manual or is there more to it?

Here is what the current Rmpi has in src/Makefile.in:

  # -*- Makefile -*-  vim : ft = make

  PKG_CPPFLAGS = @DEFS@ @PKG_CPPFLAGS@
  PKG_CFLAGS   = $(ARCHCFLAGS)
  PKG_LIBS     = @PKG_LIBS@ $(ARCHLIB)

As you can see, it only sets arguments to the compiler, not the compiler
itself.

Rmpi is a pretty good package to study as Hao as been diligently working at
it for many years, and has it working for a great number of system and
compiler choices.

Did that help? If not please rephrase the question.

Cheers, Dirk