[R-sig-hpc] trouble installing Rmpi

Davor Cubranic cubranic at stat.ubc.ca
Wed Dec 1 06:09:00 CET 2010

On November 29, 2010 11:25:11 pm John Joseph wrote:
> In regard to e: libifport.so.5 is part of or at least closely
> associated with the Intel Fortran compiler I am using.  I find it in
> opt/intel/lib/ia32/, but when I click to try to open it I get "Could
> not create the archive.  Archive type not supported."

Don't worry about clicking on it. What happens when you run 'file
/opt/intel/lib/ia32/libifport.so.5'? The reason I'm asking is because
the following error:

> | > library(Rmpi)
> | > library(snow)
> | > setwd("/home/john/LREWI15_TIO")
> | > dyn.load("./swat2009_i64_calibrate.so")
> | Error in dyn.load("./swat2009_i64_calibrate.so") :
> |   unable to load shared library '/home/john/LREWI15_TIO/./
> | swat2009_i64_calibrate.so':
> |   libifport.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

seems to indicate that the dynamic linker cannot find libifport.so.5. One
way this can happen is if it's in directory that's not on a
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Can you check that it is? Try 'ldd
/home/john/LREWI15_TIO/./swat2009_i64_calibrate.so'. Make sure that
there is a line in there that looks something like (I'm guessing):

  libifport.so.5 => /opt/intel/lib/ia32/libifport.so.5 (...)

Also, do you have other programs on that system that you compiled with
Intel's Fortran compiler that work correctly?

And let me echo Dirk's suggestion to familiarize yourself with R
packages -- what happens when you load a package, and how the package
mechanism interacts with compilation and linking of dynamic libraries.
To try otherwise will only cause you a lot of frustration, as you've
probably already discovered.

Davor