[R-sig-hpc] [R] foreach + snowfall for multicore situations

Wed Sep 2 17:57:54 CEST 2009

Hi Tal,

On Sep 2, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Tal Galili wrote:

> Hello dear R community.
> I just started playing with the snowfall package (a wrapper for the
> snow
> package), and found it very convenient.
> (See also this great website:
> http://www.imbi.uni-freiburg.de/parallel/  )
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to connect snowfall with the foreach
> package (since it has some connection to snow).
>

> My final goal is to do some simple parallel simulations on my two
> processors.

It seems you want to parallelize your computation on a single
computer, so what benefit do you find using snow/snowfall over using
the foreach w/ multicore backend?

Just curious because I've moved off of any snow* related packages
since I only parallelize on the same box and find that the foreach/
doMC combo works just fine.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou